Friday, June 1, 2007

Utah (cont'd)

Today was interesting. I think I have to start backwards to fully explain it all. I am currently in Blanding Utah at a Comfort Inn. Blanding, I found out, is a town where they don't serve alcohol. Quite a contrast from Las Vegas. Anyway, the reason I am here in Blanding is because I wasnt' sure if I'd make it to Monument Valley alive. I know I sound like I am being dramatic and I am, but at a certain point I was starting to get nervous. You see to get here I traveresed an area that resembled the outback of Australia -- no towns, very few cars, no houses and no gas stations. Blanding is further northeast than I want to be, but the town that was closer to monument valley was something called -- i kid you not -- 'mexican hat' and it was a fly speck on my map. Who knew if mexican hat would even have a motel? (one town I passed, 'fry's canyon' was 45 miles from anything and all it had was a general store) To get to Mexican hat you have to go through a "primitive area" Furthermore it was starting to get dark. Driving in the middle of nowhere during the day is scary enough, try driving it with not a single light. Oh yeah and did I mention I had by this point about half a tank, and god only knew when the next gas station would be. And so I tried to squelch my panic, pray that I wouldn't get a flat, and push on 30 miles out of my way to Blanding. And I couldn't be happier.
But earlier today was better. I've seen the most startling views I ever could have hoped to see. The landscape changed so frequently I was like a little kid, just wide eyed and amazed. I saw geologic formations called 'hoodoos' that are basically eroded columns of sandstone and limestone; They look like every Wile E Coyote cartoon you've ever seen. I saw natural land bridges, arches, mesas -- god all kinds of things. At one point the landscape was so fairytale it looked like a western painting and middle earth. It was John Ford meets Peter Jackson. I stopped off in this little town called Escalante on the way from Bryce to Capitol Reef National Park. There was this adorable cafe where I sat in the shade petting a dog, and eating a turkey sandwich. They had smoothies too, so I grabbed one for the road. I couldn't have been happier.
I'm glad I wrote this in reverse, because I'm ending with my favorite stuff from the day. Not the anxiety. This is how I'd rather remember it, smoothie in hand looking out over a creamsicle orange and pink stone valley. Nevertheless, I think I'll leave the scenic roads and stick to the interstate.

3 comments:

Jennifer Friedman said...

Hey Buddy...Please get a digital camera! Also...remember that poor little plant of yours, well it's slowly coming back to life! Miss you.

Jennifer Friedman said...

PS...I linked your blog to my blog so that mom and dad could see what you're up to! Clutch says hi.

YankeeLunatic said...

Oh Jeffery... you are the living end!