Saturday, June 2, 2007

New Mex

Arrived in Albuquerque. I'm staying at at Hilton. It's a step up from where I stayed last night. Last night, the front desk guy at the comfort inn wore a pentagram necklace. He gave me a key to room 105. When I put the key in the door it opened and I heard a voice say "Hey, who's there!" I apologized and went back to the front desk to ask for a room without a person in it. I then went to my room and locked the top lock; Something I've never done in a hotel or motel. Anyway, I'm much more comfortable here, it's like you know, a real hotel. I don't have to guess which knob on the shower is scalding hot and which one is freezing.
So after I left Utah I drove to Monument Valley. I was glad to see it. All around you it's flat and red, and then these huge stone towers just rise up from the horizon. Very cinematic. I think I see why it's filmed so much. It also seems to sum up the west. The "monuments" are like these symbols of big american giants, standing tall, and staking their claim into miles of land.
For dinner, just now, I went to Pioneer -- a great little place right across from the university of new mexico that my cousin janet took me too once. It's a good mix of hipsters, skaters, old people, students, punks... and it's got electric sliding doors and pictures of John Wayne. I mean come on... that's pretty cool.
My stress level has gone down considerably now that I am here. Time to relax.

No comments: