Thursday, May 17, 2007

The night before. Is it really happening?

Well here we are. Baring some unfortunate mishap I think I'll actually, finally be out of here. (Yes I know I pretty much just asked for an earthquake.) Well It's weird to think I am leaving. I've been in California a long time -- ever since the war was just a glimmer in our current president's eye. During my time here I witnessed a whole host of holy plagues: fires, mudslides, (I even think someone's house collapsed from rain) and the gubernatorial career of Arnold Schwarzenneger. Yes that's right. He's our governor. And now I'm gone in a reverse manifest destiny. Tomorrow I will ride off, like every hollywood ending, into that painted backdrop of an L.A. sunset; turning my back on the dusky dry land that immortalized so many who came here in search of a shot at an impossible dream, a california dream -- which I now realize is the american dream -- and who sometimes, even if just briefly, had a chance to shine brighter than anything else burning in the night's sky. Well good for all them I say, but for me, the real adventure is yet to be had. Vamados me amigos!

p.s. thanks Gabe for inspiring me to write this. 'cause I know you're reading it.

1 comment:

Jennifer Friedman said...

Hey buddy...have you really left or are you at home at this very moment frantically packing up the last few pieces of your Los Angeles life? I'm going to miss you so much.